The birth of a child is a very special and joyous occasion for parents. The Church in the parish are very glad to share this joy and warmly encourage people’s wish to have their child baptised and received into the Catholic Church.Baptism is just the first step of becoming a full member of the Church.
In due course, parents will hopefully present their child for First Communion and Confirmation.Parents are the first and most important teacher of their child’s faith and spirituality. In the baptismal ceremony the parents are asked to reject the things that destroy us as people and they are asked to renew their faith in God: The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Parents will also be asked to do this on behalf of their child.
Baptisms are held on the 1st, 3rd & 5th Saturdays of the Month at 12.00 noon.
Arranging a Baptism:
Parishioners who wish to have their child baptized are asked to contact the parish secretary, giving at least one month’s notice, to check availability of dates. They then collect a booking form which is to be completed, signed by both parents and returned to the office, accompanied by a copy of the birth certificate, to confirm their arrangements. As there is a great demand, early booking is essential if you require a particular date. People who are not parishioners may, in certain circumstances, have their child baptized in St. Brigid’s but need written permission from their own parish priest to do so.
Revised Guidelines 2023
1. Please arrive about 10 to 15 minutes before the ceremony.
2. There is free parking for anyone attending Church services.
3. There will be 4 families for Baptism.
4. Remember to bring the Baptism Candle which is available in Veritas & a white shawl.
5. Photos to be taken at the font when your baby is being Christened and briefly after the ceremony but not during the ceremony.
6. Donations for the officiating priest may be made after the ceremony in the sacristy when collecting your baby’s Baptismal Cert.
7. The Baptism Team arranges a meeting for parents in the month before your Baptism. These are held in the Pastoral Centre and you will be informed of the date when you book your baptism.
A Baptism Team was set up in 1997. The team arranges a preparation meeting for parents in the month before your Baptism. These meetings are held in the Pastoral Centre and you will be informed of the date when you book your Baptism
Two team members are also present at the Baptismal ceremony and welcome the babies and their parents on behalf of the Church Community.
Contact: Parish office.
Tel: (01) 811 5412
Available from the Parish Secretary 10.00am to 1.00pm, Monday to Friday